Lucid Insights was a key contributor to the program of work, which included both external consulting companies and internal staff. Lucid Insights took overall design lead, one of the two project stream lead roles and had oversight of the BAU support function.
The overall solution involved the following:
- Design and implementation of
- Several storage mechanisms including a Landed Data Area, Data Marts and Data Warehouse.
- Common semantic layer comprised of several models including General Ledger, Project Financials,
- Self-service analysis using Power BI
- Implemented Bi-modal IT framework, whereby the business was enabled to build / prototype reports and IT operationalises those for central governance and scalability.
- Power BI training to business users.
- SharePoint storage of technical and business support documentation.
- Technical implementation of an System Development Life Cycle that enabled a 48 hour production release capability from multiple projects running in parallel.
- Improved business continuity by embedding business logic into data models.
- Reduced reliance on IT by enabling business data stewards to directly maintain master reference data.
- Semantic layer implemented has reduced the need for information silos.
- Enabling business to author and collaborate analysis and reporting without relying on IT.
- Reporting was a mix of Oracle and excel based reporting.
- Business lacked the ability to access and analyse data quickly.
- Reporting business logic not documented.
- Knowledge loss with staff turnover.
- Inconsistent applied business logic.
- Data integrity of spreadsheet based reporting was questionable.
- Inefficiencies in re-keying of data and manual data entry.
- The customer, being an ASX 50 company, was geographically disbursed both in terms of the internal customers and the project team.
- Project Management
- Agile Development & Testing
- Data Modelling
- Report Design and Development
- Database Design and Development
- Training & Documentation
- Power BI Desktop & Service
- Microsoft SQL Server 2016
- Database Engine
- Analysis Services (tabular mode)
- Integration Services
- Visual Studio Team Services (agile workflow & source control)
- Visual Studio 2015